Prior to founding Chasteen Law Firm, Terry was a partner in the firm of Anderson & Chasteen for four years. Before that he was a senior partner in the firm of Anderson, Fayssoux and Chasteen for more than 15 years and had been associated with that firm for more than 23 years. Terry held the position of in-house counsel for the School District of Greenville County for 2 years immediately upon graduation from law school.
Initially, Terry's private practice was focused in the areas of estates, family law and personal injury. From the mid 90's until 2008 he spent the majority of his time handling residential and commercial real estate matters, including transactions and litigation. Terry is a title agent for Chicago Title. While the Chasteen Law Firm is a general practice firm, Terry's current practice is concentrated in the areas of probate planning and administration, personal injury, family law and real estate.
Terry is native to Greenville and has lived here his entire life except during college and law school. He attended Erskine College where he played basketball. He graduated with a Behavioral Science Degree in 1978. He worked in sales at Edgcomb Metals in Greenville for two years before beginning law school in 1980. He graduated from the University of South Carolina School of Law and was admitted to the South Carolina Bar in 1983.
Terry is currently a member of the First Baptist Church of Simpsonville where he has been active in the church choir. In his previous church, Washington Baptist, he served in many capacities, including Trustee, Deacon, youth and RA leader and teacher. Terry has served as coach for county recreation baseball and basketball teams for many years. He has also refereed Upward Basketball and served as high school baseball coach and middle school PTA president.
Terry has been happily married to Karen, his high school sweetheart, for almost 35 years. Karen has taught first grade for 32 years. He has a daughter, Bonnie, who is also a first grade teacher and a son, Matt, who is the firm's investigator. Terry's son, Monte, is a cofounding member of the firm.
Areas of Practice
- Estate Planning
- Family Law
- Personal Injury
- Real Estate
- South Carolina, 1983
- U.S. District Court District of South Carolina, 1985
- University of South Carolina School of Law, Columbia, South Carolina
- J.D. - 1983
- Erskine College, Due West, South Carolina
- A.B. - 1978
- Honors: Dean's List
- Major: Behavioral Science
Honors and Awards
- Leading Title Insurance Agent
Professional Associations and Memberships
- South Carolina Bar, Member, 1983 to 2014
- Greenville County Bar Association, Member, 1983 to 2014
- American Land Title Association, Member, 2012 to 2014
- American Bar Association, Member, 1983 to 2014
Past Employment Positions
- School District of Greenville County, In House Counsel, 1983 to 1985
- Edgcomb Metals, Sales Associate, 1978 to 1980
Pro Bono Activities
- County Rec basketball and baseball coach, President of middle school PTA
- Church activities including deacon, trustee, teacher, youth and RA leader, choir member
- Chicago Title Company Agent